The Monday and Tuesday after Thanksgiving weekend, my coworker and I had to drive to Cody, WY to do some work. Come to find out that Martin's Cove was only about 15 miles out of the way, so we stopped by for a quick tour. When will I ever be in the middle of nowhere Wyoming again?
Devil's Gate where the hand cart companies entered the Martin's Cove area along the Sweetwater River.
Martin's Cove
We were only there for about an hour, but I learned so much from the sweet senior missionary who took us on the tour. I am forever grateful for all those people who went before us to establish and strengthen the Church here in the west. I can hardly comprehend the sacrifice and suffering they endured to follow the words of the living prophet. Here is more info on Martin's Cove and the handcart pioneers: http://lds.org/gospellibrary/pioneer/28_Martins_Cove.html. It was sunny and still the most freezing and windy place ever. I can't imagine it in the snow!
I was thinking of the pioneers yesterday morning as I was freezing my buns off doing yard duty for 15 minutes in 37 degree weather. I had to stop thinking about the pioneers or I would have cried. I just can't imagine how they suffered in that cold weather--the Wiley and Martin groups especially. They were some spiritually strong people. Thanks Peeps!
ReplyDeleteI just read The Work and the Glory series. Let me just say: I would NOT have survived as a pioneer forging the way in a new frontier! That is pretty cool you were able to visit Martin's Cove.
ReplyDeleteLook at all these posts! I think I'm going to take a day off work and sit and blog all day long! You should join me!
ReplyDelete