So I've started dating a guy. I know...I should have warned you to be sitting down first. My apologies if you injured yourself when you fainted just then. He just pretty dang great! We are still in the phase where we talk and text for hours learning as much as we can about each other. This past weekend, John asked me to tell him a specific lesson I learned from each of my parents that has made me the person I am today and to tell him one thing about each of my siblings that makes them special. I thought I would blog my responses (this was all through text message) so my fam knows just how much I love them. We aren't really the best at expressing our love for each other verbally, but I feel like we've gotten better as we've gotten older.
I don't really remember specific moments my parents have taught life lessons (mostly because my memory is bad, not because they haven't taught me lessons), but my whole life, they have been examples to me in so many ways. My mom is selfless and always dedicated to her callings, visiting teaching, temple attendance, scripture study, prayer, and journal writing. My dad is a provider and a support and a hard worker. One thing I always remember is him supporting my mom 100% in everything. I love them and hope I can be half the parents they are someday. Anything good about the person I am today is a result of these two parentals of mine.
Amy - She has always been a spiritual example to me. She knows the scriptures so well, has such strong faith, and is an amazing wife and mom. Ryan - He is a pillar of strength in the gospel, in his marriage, and as a father. He is solid in everything and is always happy. He will do anything for anyone. Deeds - He can always put things into perspective and doesn't beat around the bush. He can always make me laugh. His dedication to his education and future career inspires me!
So that's what I told John. I (of course) was all misty eyed the whole time I was texting him these things. Then yesterday, I finished reading "Heaven is Here" by Stephanie Nielsen. As a side note, this book is AMAZING, and I love her and everyone on earth should read this book! So I'm finishing the book yesterday morning and just weeping as NieNie talks about what amazing family she has, and how selfless and supportive they were (and are) throughout her whole tragedy. I couldn't help but thinking about how blessed I am to be a part of my family. I love them each so much! They each have blessed and continue to bless my life in countless ways. Another question John asked me was when am I the happiest and the saddest? That was easy. I'm the happiest when I'm with my family and people I love, and I'm the saddest when we are apart. Sorry for the sap fest here, but I just felt like I should blog about all these feelings I had this weekend. Thanks to John for asking the good questions, but mostly thanks to the Cosby clan for being the best examples and most incredible people on earth!
Well said sherwin baggins.
ReplyDeleteYou do have an amazing family and I'm so happy you appreciate them! So fun to be dating... sounds like a very cool guy for him to ask those kinds of questions.
ReplyDeleteOkay, boo hoo! You kids bring tears to my eyes way too much in these blogs. What a very thoughtful question though to find out about a person. You rock Ker, we too miss being by our family. Find dad a job up there and we'll come drive you nuts with our closeness. Ha! Ha!
ReplyDeleteI think you have a pretty great family as well! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm a little behind on my blog reading, but what a great post! Sometimes it's nice to just think about why we love people.
ReplyDeleteAnd you're dating someone!?!? Woot! So exciting! yays! I hope all is going well. :)