I'm sneaking this post in between some already existing posts, so it is highly likely that no one will read it, but I just needed to document. This year around Christmas, I thought a lot about Mary and what an amazing woman she must have been. I am so grateful for her. One Sunday in December (our last Sunday together as roommates...sad day), the Gospel Principles teacher was teaching Lesson 12: The Atonement.
I can't remember exactly what the teacher said, but she made a comment about how everything mortal about Jesus Christ came from Mary, His mortal mother. It got me thinking about my favorite scriptures in Alma (7:11-13), so I turned to them. I have such a strong testimony of the power of the Atonement to enable us to overcome our mortal flaws and weaknesses. If you move back one verse to verse 10 you will notice a beautiful description of Mary..."a precious and chosen vessel". I hadn't ever made the connection before that it was because of Mary that Christ can feel our mortal infirmities and temptations and therefore can succor us according to the flesh. Because she was willing to be that "precious and chosen vessel", Jesus Christ learned what it feels like to live a mortal life. He knows what its like to be in physical pain, to be disappointed and heart broken, to be tempted by things of the flesh (like lots of delicious food!), to feel inadequate in any role that we fill, to feel alone, to feel tired, and I could go on and on.
So this Christmas, I am so grateful for Mary and the part that she played in making Jesus the perfect Redeemer and Savior that He is. I looked at all the nativity scenes a little differently this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment