Monday, January 23, 2012

Sports Heartbreak

Before I launch into my sports heartbreak, here are a few pictures from this past weekend.  Olivia, Tricia, Brett, Quade, and I headed downtown to the Gateway for some dinner and a movie.  It was a grand time!


We went to the California Pizza Kitchen and then to see Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.  It was a really good movie...kind of a downer but also very inspiring at the same time.  The acting was phenomenal.  It was really unlike any movie I've ever seen before.  I would definitely recommend it!

Now for the sports heartbreak.  I often find myself questioning why I love sports so much.  Yes, the victories and awesome plays bring so much joy, but the losses and bonehead plays hurt so, so much!  I guess I remember the joy more than I do the pain because I continue to subject myself to the rollercoaster of emotions that is sport fandom.  
I have been a 49ers fan since I was 10-years-old.  You know...the Jerry Rice and Steve Young years!!  I could name at least 30 other players probably from those years.  But they have sucked for nearly the last decade.  I admit, I lost touch with the NFL.  I would still always check if they won (which was rare), but I was definitely not a dedicated fan.  Even this season, I wasn't way into it until the season started coming to a close and it looked like we were actually going to be a worthwhile team.  I guess that makes me a fair-weather fan, which I hate.  I pledge to be more diligent in my allegiance to 49er football.  Hopefully them doing well this season will mean that more of their games will be on nationally televised TV next season so I can actually watch a game or two.
So all of that brings me to yesterday.  I'm still not over it, can you tell?  Losses always hurt, but this one hurts real bad...like the very depths of despair bad.  I headed over to Amy's after church for the game.  We took these pictures before the end of the game so that's why we still look happy and confident (and I'm sporting my new shorter 'do!  Hot, I know.)!


Dan dug into his hidden supply of classic 49er gear and pulled out these beauties for he and Amy to wear.  The t-shirt is signed by Steve Young.  Too bad Steve still isn't our quarterback still!  Don't even get me started on the former Ute QB who we have now.  I've never been a fan of his for obvious reasons, and yesterday did not change my mind about him.  Just not good is what it boils down to.  And let's just add Kyle Williams to the growing list of Kyles who I strongly dislike!
So even though the outcome of the game was the worst, at least I got to hug and kiss these two face...

 
And I got to capture this little lady at her finest...


Yes, it is her saying "cheeeeeese" in this next one...
And my personal favorite...she might be a future cheerleader...
 
Maybe next season 49ers...I will be a loyal fan, I promise (after all, I have a t-shirt now)!  Unless you suck again, and then I might be a little half-hearted in my loyalty!

6 comments:

  1. Those videos of buggy are pretty priceless. Still feel so sad about the game...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That game cut us pretty deep. Yesterday Ryan texted me that he needed my support to help him get through the day, so we met at Cafe Rio! HA! We were stuck in a sports depression! I love those videos of Sophs so much! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cafe Rio does heal wounds. Good call there!

      Delete
  3. Cute sassy do Ker! Very funny that you kiddos get so down about these sporting events. I expect the worst and then when our team pulls through I am very excited. If you think that way you never get disappointed. Ha! Ha! Oh, how I miss my little g. kiddies. Sophie is truly growing up too, too fast. Jack, Jack grandma needs a big hug buddy. Love his cheesy grins all the time these days. Thanks for the videos Ker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute sassy do Ker! Very funny that you kiddos get so down about these sporting events. I expect the worst and then when our team pulls through I am very excited. If you think that way you never get disappointed. Ha! Ha! Oh, how I miss my little g. kiddies. Sophie is truly growing up too, too fast. Jack, Jack grandma needs a big hug buddy. Love his cheesy grins all the time these days. Thanks for the videos Ker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops! Something weird just happened.

    ReplyDelete