This is Blood Lake that we passed on the way out. It was kind of an overcast and gloomy morning, but still so gorgeous!
One may ask what in the world the name of this blog means. Let me explain. My dad has called me "Sherwi" (the "r" is sort of silent, hard to explain how to pronounce it)my whole life. I'm not sure where it comes from. Maybe it was the way I said my own name when I was a wee tot. Nonetheless, it has stuck with me my whole life. When Lord of the Rings became popular, my brothers started calling me Sherwi Baggins due to my tall stature. I'm honored to have it as a nickname. Hobbits rock!
Thursday, August 4, 2011
I'm a Backpacker!
Last week, I headed over to REI and bought a backpack, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad. About $375 later, I was a legitimate backpacker! Yippee! It's so nice to have my own gear and not have to borrow it from people. Last weekend, I put my new gear to use on a one night camping trip with Brett up Big Cottonwood Canyon by Guardsman Pass.
This is my usual view when I'm hiking with Brett...always trying to keep up! Though I do have to say that our trek into our camping spot was a lot easier than it was last year. I think I'm a little better shape than I was last year for our camping trip. Yeah!
Don't I look legit?!
Who knew I should I have packed snowshoes? It was the last two days of July for heaven's sake! Ridiculous!
After we scoped out our campsite and set up the tent, we started dinner. Hamburgers and corn on the cob! So delicious!
I love camping and campfires so much! I really loved our fire this time because it kept the swarming, annoying mosqitos away. Hate those little things and they were everywhere!
Camping would not be complete without s'mores!
Here is a shot of our campsite...green tent in the background. Brett fashioned us a couple of seats from the rocks.
Ready to head back to the car! Legitimate backpacker! All my new gear treated me so well!
The wildflowers were in bloom all over the place. So beautiful!
We were almost to the car and came to the top of a hill only to find these two friends waiting for us right by the trail.
We bolted immediately! Didn't feel like being bulldozed by a momma moose trying to protect her little baby! So we blazed our own trail back to the car. We saw two other moose that morning too. Moose have great taste in where they choose to hang out. Such beautiful scenery!
This is Blood Lake that we passed on the way out. It was kind of an overcast and gloomy morning, but still so gorgeous!
We stopped for breakfast at the Silver Fork Lodge on the way down the canyon. So great! Love that place!
Hurray for my first and hopefully not last camping trip of the summer! I gotta put that $375 to lots of use! Love it!
This is Blood Lake that we passed on the way out. It was kind of an overcast and gloomy morning, but still so gorgeous!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Beautiful country you have found in your new life. You look like a real professional hiker. there goes this month's savings--but you needed it. Take a close look at the pics of you eating the smore--who does it look like? I guess that is where people get the idea that you look like your mom. I can see it from that shot.
ReplyDeleteBackpacking? Are you nuts!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhen are we gonna summit Half Dome Sherwi?
ReplyDeleteDeeds someone died on Half Dome recently. No one is hiking that. I like to hike but can we bring a trailer for me to sleep in?
ReplyDeleteI agree with Ame...let's stay on safe grounds please! :) And, I will be in that trailer with you Ame!
ReplyDeleteyou are a gangster sherwi. love you.
ReplyDeleteOh, my gosh, I had to write again. I guess that is you on the log in front the lodge. I thought it was a "Native American" statue of some kind. Ha!Ha!Ha! Now my sight is as bad as my hearing.
ReplyDelete@Deeds...I'm ready when you are! @Mom...Do not ever say Native American...hahaha! To your credit, it's not the best picture ever taken.
ReplyDeleteI'll do half dome.
ReplyDelete