Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Come What May, and Love It - Part 1

Frustrating and annoying things happen to me all the time. I was inspired by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin's (miss him so, so much!) talk given in October 2008 entitled "Come What May, and Love It" (http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-9,00.html). Whenever one of these frustrating or annoying things happen, I now try to jump back, look at the bigger picture, and then laugh. Elder Wirthlin said, "The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable." I feel like my re-telling of these situations have brightened the days of those I have told them to. So I thought I would start to share them here as they happen.

Part 1: Hansel and Gretel

Just before Christmas, I had made one of my usual jaunts over to Costco. Normally, Costco is the happiest place on earth for me, but not this day. I had purchased a few items, a case of bottled water, little delicious grape tomatoes, a huge pack of toilet paper, etc. I headed out to my car quite satisfied with my purchases and excited to eat the grape tomatoes. Those of you who know me well, know that I LOVE tomatoes and eat romas like apples. Delicious! God bless Costco and whoever grows these little grape tomatoes! You Costco lovers out there know the pieces of heaven that I'm talking about!
Upon arriving at my car and popping my trunk, I found that the carton of tomatoes had toppled off the case of water bottles and now my once heaping amount of grape tomatoes was now nearly non-existent. A moment of rage set in as I thought about the careless, thoughtless, obviously-out-there-to-sabotage-me cashier who had not arranged my cart in a way that could survive a trip over the stupid rain dips in the parking lot. Just as profanities were about to fill my brain (these tomatoes aren't the cheapest), I glanced back to glare at the stupid rain dip that caused the problem only to find that I had left a trail of grape tomatoes from said stupid rain dip to my car. Who could keep from laughing at that?!? If anyone was watching the incident, they had to have been highly entertained. I salvaged what was left in the carton, picked up all the tomatoes that were around the car (thoroughly washed them all and yes, I did eat them), and got in my car and headed home. Afterall, it was just a few bucks down the drain and good story to tell! At least I can find my way back to Costco now by following my trail of grape tomatoes!

6 comments:

  1. Love this story!!!! I remember when it happened...... and thanks for the reminder about that great talk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerri, you need to be a columnist for a newspaper. Herb Benham writes this kind of stuff all the time and he gets paid for it. Look him up on the B-Town paper and send him your story. Maybe he can hook you up with a job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Mom, Kerri! You should totally seek out the paper!!!! I would read your column :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I was out playing football with my buddies. And they started making fun of one of the kids. I said stop being mean... be kind. Stop messing with little Mikey." - Joseph B. Wirthlin and his classic voice/football stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who are you? That is funny any way you look at it.

    ReplyDelete