Saturday, May 17, 2014

Race, Garden, and UGIC Conference

Keeping with tradition, I did the Race for the Cure again this year which was last weekend.  James joined me this time around.  I can't run anymore really so I'm not in good running shape.  My knees don't agree with it unfortunately.  I miss it so much!  We jogged for about the first mile and then walked most of the rest.  It was still awesome and so inspiring!

 
 It rained and hailed the last quarter mile or so.  That made things pretty exciting!
Save your mams!  Self examine!
On Monday night we planted our garden for FHE at James' parents' house.  They are so kind to let use share their garden with them.  We can't wait until July/August/September when we get to eat it all!
 
 
 On Tuesday evening, I left for the rest of the week for a geography conference down in Richfield, UT.  It was the annual Utah Geographic Information Council (UGIC) conference, and I volunteered to present at it this year.  This was the morning of my presentation.
Do I look professional and like I know what I'm talking about?
 One afternoon, we went to Fremont Indian State Park for a BBQ and field trip.  It was awesome to be outside after listening to endless PowerPoint presentations!
I hiked up that sheer rock face to see Chief Hunkup's petroglyphs.
The view from the top!
And the petroglyph.  Chief Hunkup lived in the 1860's and had taken a train out west.  He thought it was so funny that white people kept their horses in houses and that there was a room for going to the bathroom on the train.  He made a petroglyph of all the crazy things us white people do (including a man peeing off the back of the train down there at the bottom right).
 
 Come to find out that my bowling class in college is still paying off!  I came in first place out of all the women at the bowling tournament!
I'm a pin terminator baby! 
 Another night they set up a mini putt course throughout the conference center.  It was so fun!  One whole looked like this...
My presentation went great and I got to meet a lot of people and do some networking.  I would count it as a success!
That is what we have been up to lately!

1 comment:

  1. Hiking that rock face by yourself girl? Yikes! Way to go with that bowling and the presentation.

    ReplyDelete