Sometimes my job is pretty dang rad and I get to see things that I probably would never otherwise. A couple of weeks ago, Holly and I had to go up to Tremonton to work for a couple of days. We stayed one night in Brigham City, so we drove by the temple being build there. It really is beautiful! It sort of has a Salt Lake Temple vibe to it, but only two spires and WAY smaller. Can't wait for it to be dedicated so I can go check out the inside!
While were out in the middle of nowhere Box Elder County (and I mean literally in the middle of nowhere!), we drove right by the road to the Gold Spike visitors center, so we had to drop in. For those who don't know, the transcontinental railroad that connected the east coast to the west coast was completed right here in Utah at a little town call Promontory Point. The town doesn't exist anymore, but they have a historical site there commemorating this important day in US history. This happened in May 1869. There isn't really a gold spike there, which was disappointing, but it was still cool to see it! Going here was on our roommate bucket list in the fall, but we never got around to going there. We can check that one off the list!
Then last week Holly and I had to go out to Wendover, UT, and we had to verify that we had the right location for the Bonneville Salt Flats. The flats are mostly covered by water right now, but usually this is just a huge salt flat where race cars can test their maximum speeds. This was also my first time touching the Great Salt Lake. And yes, I had to taste it. How else would I know for sure it was really salty? It is indeed really salty, don't you worry!
So there's your Utah/US history lesson for the day. I'm so grateful to have a job that I enjoy and coworkers who I love and get along with so well. I'm so blessed! And I get to see cool stuff too sometimes!
And sometimes I'm really, really lucky and have little helpers drop by the office. Is there anything cuter on this earth?
Okay, I'll try again---With the price of gold these days someone would have stolen that spike by now. Maybe they have and that's why it isn't there. Ha! Ha! The temple is beautiful. I'll want to go check that one out as well. I'll have to look up the expected completion date. You are checking off bucket list items right and left these days Sherwi!
ReplyDeleteThat is a beautiful temple! Great job for taking initiative and doing awesome stuff! I love seeing your posts - thanks for starting a blog!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fun little outing! That temple looks incredible! Having cute visitors like that at work must just brighten your day!...especially when they are workin' an awesome comb-over! :)
ReplyDelete